How do I install Joomla! 1.5?
Installing of Joomla! 1.5 is pretty easy. We assume you have set-up your Web site, and it is accessible with your browser.
What are the requirements to run Joomla! 1.5?
Joomla! runs on the PHP pre-processor. PHP comes in many flavours, for a lot of operating systems. Beside PHP you will need a Web server. Joomla! is optimized for the Apache Web server, but it can run on different Web servers like Microsoft IIS it just requires additional configuration of PHP and MySQL. Joomla! also depends on a database, for this currently you can only use MySQL.Many people know from their own experience that it's not easy to install an Apache Web server and it gets harder if you want to add MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP, WAMP, and MAMP are easy to install distributions containing Apache, MySQL, PHP and Perl for the Windows, Mac OSX and Linux operating systems. These packages are for localhost installations on non-public servers only.
The minimum version requirements are:
My MySQL database does not support UTF-8. Do I have a problem?
|No you don't. Versions of MySQL lower than 4.1 do not have built in UTF-8 support. However, Joomla! 1.5 has made provisions for backward compatibility and is able to use UTF-8 on older databases. Let the installer take care of all the settings and there is no need to make any changes to the database (charset, collation, or any other).|
What is the FTP layer for?
The FTP Layer allows file operations (such as installing Extensions or updating the main configuration file) without having to make all the folders and files writable. This has been an issue on Linux and other Unix based platforms in respect of file permissions. This makes the site admin's life a lot easier and increases security of the site.
You can check the write status of relevent folders by going to ''Help->System Info" and then in the sub-menu to "Directory Permissions". With the FTP Layer enabled even if all directories are red, Joomla! will operate smoothly.
NOTE: the FTP layer is not required on a Windows host/server.
Can Joomla! 1.5 operate with PHP Safe Mode On?
Yes it can! This is a significant security improvement.
The safe mode limits PHP to be able to perform actions only on files/folders who's owner is the same as PHP is currently using (this is usually 'apache'). As files normally are created either by the Joomla! application or by FTP access, the combination of PHP file actions and the FTP Layer allows Joomla! to operate in PHP Safe Mode.
Why does Joomla! 1.5 use UTF-8 encoding?
Well... how about never needing to mess with encoding settings again?
Ever needed to display several languages on one page or site and something always came up in Giberish?
With utf-8 (a variant of Unicode) glyphs (character forms) of basically all languages can be displayed with one single encoding setting.
Install Joomla 1.0.x
Joomla! 1.5 does not provide an upgrade path from earlier versions. Converting an older site to a Joomla! 1.5 site requires creation of a new empty site using Joomla! 1.5 and then populating the new site with the content from the old site. This migration of content is not a one-to-one process and involves conversions and modifications to the content dump.
There are two ways to perform the migration:
Install Joomla 1.5.x
|This is now defined in the Language [lang].xml file in the Language metadata settings. If you are having locale problems such as dates do not appear in your language for example, you might want to check/edit the entries in the locale tag. Note that multiple locale strings can be set and the host will usually accept the first one recognised.|
Upgrade Basis to Professional
Step 1. Create a folder called upload on your computer.
Step 4. Backup your database and press the button update database in the admin panel.
Step 5. replace the files your change.
Step 6. upgrade done.
Some may have issues with installation (expecially with the php safe mode on)
so here goes the quick install instructions:
1) unzip com_marvikshop_core1xxxx.tar.gz
2) upload catalog.zip to components/com_oscommerce and extract it
3) upload the rest of the files to administrator/components/com_oscommerce and extract admin.zip
4) open the sql folder from the unzipped tar.gz and select either the clean or sample install sql file, do a find and replace and replace all #__ with jos (or your db prefix) and run the file using phpmyadmin (or alternativly login to admin and run the following url:
5) unzip com_marvikshop_lang1xxxx.tar.gz
6) upload the additional.zip to components/com_marvikshop_lang and unzip
7) upload the rest of the files to administrator/components/com_marvikshop_lang
8) run the following commands in phpmyadmin
INSERT INTO `jos_components` (`name`, `link`, `menuid`, `parent`, `admin_menu_link`, `admin_menu_alt`, `option`, `ordering`, `admin_menu_img`, `iscore`, `params`) VALUES ('marvikshop Online Shop', 'option=com_oscommerce', 0, 0, 'option=com_oscommerce', 'marvikshop Online Shop', 'com_oscommerce', 0, 'js/ThemeOffice/component.png', 0, '');
INSERT INTO `jos_components` (`name`, `link`, `menuid`, `parent`, `admin_menu_link`, `admin_menu_alt`, `option`, `ordering`, `admin_menu_img`, `iscore`, `params`) VALUES ('marvikshop Language', 'option=com_marvikshop_lang', 0, 0, 'option=com_marvikshop_lang', 'marvikshop Language Manager', 'com_marvikshop_lang', 0, 'js/ThemeOffice/component.png', 0, '');
Follow the required modifications to joomla 1.0.x or joomla 1.5.x from the respective install docs found here.
A couple of tips we suggest.
1) move the downloads folder from main default location / rename it
change the location to the new value in the following file
2) Need additional languages - marvikshop Supports joomlafish
- all you need do is download the oscommerce / oscmax language pack of your choice,
- the folder structure has changed, so you will need to copy the catalog language folder to components/com_marvikshop_lang/languages, the admin langauge to componetns/com_marvikshop_lang/languages/admin
- due to us haveing many additional language definitions, we have added a tool to compare and update missing langguage files and definitions, this can be accessed by the marvikshop language admin menu link, please make sure the languages folder is chmodded 0777
3) Image Issues:
- images not displaying
- first make sure that the images folder is 0777
- if that does not work, your gd library might not be compatable with the functions used, disable the thumbnail feature by switching resample off.
- Popups not working - some modules / mambots interfear with the lightbox functionality, should this occur, simply set use lightbox to off in the marvikshop administration section under configuration, images
4) Please be sure to read the install instructions for the version of joomla you are running.
Backup the components/com_marvikshop_lang folder (easiest is to rename it com_marvikshop_lang_bak)
uninstall both the main and lang component
install the new core component
install the new lang component, choose the option to upgrade db on installation
Copy your images from your com_marvikshop_lang_bak directory back to the main direcory, merge your language changes into the new language files.